I stumbled across the thread because I was looking for a way to change the
number of decimal digits (precision) displayed by the data cursor (or data-tip) as they
seem to call it. Four digits is not necessarily enough for fine work.
It turns out to be easy -- once you think of it. The poster
figured out his question. I'll document what he discovered when he said "nevermind --
I got it."
1) Select Data Cursor tool and click a point on your plot
2) Right click the tool and select "Edit Text Update Function"
3) On line 8 you will see an expression "output_txt = ... (pos(1),4)...
4) Change the ,4's to ,7's or whatever level of precision you need.
5) Save the file as "custom_cursor.m" (or whatever you like
6) Next time you need to use the cursor, repeat step 1, but then Right Click and
select "Select Text Update Function". Now select your custom_cursor.m and
you will have your customized cursor.
7) The cursor always returns to its default state. For now, I don't mind selecting custom_cursor every time I need one. I'll be happy to have a suggestion on how to permanently change the cursor if someone feels like making one.