Solution: MATLAB 6.5 (R13) natively on Windows 7
cofi_ac
2013-04-15 17:00:09 UTC
I have recently upgraded to Windows 7 and then had to notice that my MATLAB 6.5 (R13) doesn't work out of the box. Although people recommend installing it on a XP VM, I managed to get it to work flawlessy under Win7 64-Bit with some tricks.
For all people who are stuck with such an old version like me, here is my solution:

Part 1 - Install the Microsoft Java VM
======================================
1) Get the last version of the Microsoft JVM (Build 3810) from some website, it's usually called "msjavx86.exe".
A still working official link is (despite the different filename)
http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/MSJavWU_8073687b82d41db93f4c2a04af2b34d.exe
2) Use your favourite zip tool like 7-Zip to extract the "msjavx86.exe" file to some directory.
3) Open a command prompt in that directory and type: javatrig /l
4) A dialog will appear indicating that the Java VM is not compatible with Windows 7. Ignore it and just click on "Run program".

The MS JVM is now installed. This is required before you can even run MATLAB's Setup.
Do that now and install MATLAB to the default C:\MATLAB6p5 directory.

Part 2 - Working around "License Manager Error -103 Terminal Server Remote Client not allowed"
This is the usual message you get when trying to launch MATLAB after the finished installation.
The fix is simple though: Open an Explorer in C:\MATLAB6p5\bin\win32 and create an empty file called "wtsapi32.dll" there.
MATLAB will then use this DLL when checking for Terminal Services and believe that they don't exist. It won't affect the program in any other way as the file is used exclusively for Terminal Services.

Finally you can change the permissions of C:\MATLAB6p5 and subdirectories to allow Full Access for normal users, so that MATLAB can store its settings there even without Administrator privileges.

And voilà: Loading Image...

My solution may also work for other MATLAB versions of a similar age (like R12 or R14). I don't own them, so I cannot try this out.
Comments are welcome! :-)
Senthilnathan
2013-10-24 10:54:08 UTC
I use the same Matlab6.5.1SP1(R13) & I recently moved to Win7.
I tried your solution. But it dint work.

Can you please relook at the trick what you have posted & confirm , that all the steps are there & no other step is required.

Thanks
Zen
And voilà: http://s1.directupload.net/images/130401/66ueu9p3.png
Comments are welcome! :-)
aguadopd
2014-05-25 04:53:09 UTC
Thank you!
e***@gmail.com
2014-05-06 22:47:08 UTC
Muchisimas gracis!, me sirvio mucho.
Joseph
I got this to work with the Student Version 13
l***@gmail.com
2014-09-12 13:59:18 UTC
i hope this work
m***@googlemail.com
2014-09-14 10:54:12 UTC
Post by l***@gmail.com
i hope this work
thanks my friends.. searched many sites for solutions but none found or they all told me to install some creepy regcleanpro programs or stuff like that
never do that!

but now i found your solution with this wtsapi32.dll ... and it worked perfectly for me for matlab 6.5 on win 8.1 pro
jalal6245
2014-11-07 02:58:58 UTC
I used your solution in my laptop and it worked properly. now I can use MATLAB 6.5.1 in my laptop.
moreover, I want to link MATLAB 6.5.1 to PSCAD (electrical engineering software) but there is another problem here that my PSCAD say this message"there is no path string to the matlab executable, check the matlab installation". I think that, executable property of MATALB is missed. could you help me with this problem?
cofi_ac
2015-01-26 14:33:26 UTC
An update to my previous explanations
=====================================
Newer Windows 7 versions apparently prevent the installation of the MS Java VM even more. In my case, I just got a blank error message when trying to run "javatrig /l" as described above.

To work around this problem, extract the files "msjava.dll" and "vmhelper.dll" from the "javabase.cab" of the extracted "msjavx86.exe". Then copy these two files to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 (assuming you're running 64-bit Windows 7). Overwrite any existing file, even if it's newer.
When you then run "javatrig /l" again, the MS Java VM should be successfully installed. You can then proceed with installing MATLAB as described above.

I believe this could work the same way under Windows 8/8.1, although I haven't tested it personally.
Steven Lord
2015-01-26 15:41:02 UTC
Post by cofi_ac
An update to my previous explanations
=====================================
Newer Windows 7 versions apparently prevent the installation of the MS
Java VM even more. In my case, I just got a blank error message when
trying to run "javatrig /l" as described above.
To work around this problem, extract the files "msjava.dll" and
"vmhelper.dll" from the "javabase.cab" of the extracted "msjavx86.exe".
Then copy these two files to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 (assuming you're running
64-bit Windows 7). Overwrite any existing file, even if it's newer.
When you then run "javatrig /l" again, the MS Java VM should be
successfully installed. You can then proceed with installing MATLAB as
described above.
I believe this could work the same way under Windows 8/8.1, although I
haven't tested it personally.
I'd like to point out that MATLAB 6.5 (R13) was released almost thirteen
years ago and that there have been major improvements to MATLAB in that
time. I'd also like to point out that Microsoft has ended mainstream support
for Windows 7, which was released about six years ago.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/microsoft-ends-free-support-windows/story?id=28191403

http://support2.microsoft.com/lifecycle/default.aspx?LN=en-us&c2=14019

I'm curious to know why, as you wrote in your original message in this
thread almost two years ago, you're "stuck with such an old version"?
--
Steve Lord
***@mathworks.com
http://www.mathworks.com
Kai-Michael LÃŒdeke
Kai-Michael LÃŒdeke
2016-03-28 11:28:04 UTC
Post by cofi_ac
An update to my previous explanations
=====================================
Newer Windows 7 versions apparently prevent the installation of the MS Java VM even more. In my case, I just got a blank error message when trying to run "javatrig /l" as described above.
To work around this problem, extract the files "msjava.dll" and "vmhelper.dll" from the "javabase.cab" of the extracted "msjavx86.exe". Then copy these two files to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 (assuming you're running 64-bit Windows 7). Overwrite any existing file, even if it's newer.
When you then run "javatrig /l" again, the MS Java VM should be successfully installed. You can then proceed with installing MATLAB as described above.
I believe this could work the same way under Windows 8/8.1, although I haven't tested it personally.
Hi,
my PC runs under Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit and has Oracle's Java 7 Update 5 installed.
I have the following questions :
1. Can you tell whether the above changes will in any way hamper the installation and function of Java 7 ?
2. I got the impression that the old MS Java is only required temporarily during installation and that after that MATLAB will use the system's Java installation. Can you comment on that ?
3. Related to (1) : Is it possible to have the most recent Java and the old Microsoft stuff installed and working without interference ?

Regards and many thanks for your valuable hints
from Kai
who is very disappointed with MathWork's lacking support for older MATLAB version
Bruno Luong
2016-03-28 11:54:11 UTC
Post by Kai-Michael LÃŒdeke
from Kai
who is very disappointed with MathWork's lacking support for older MATLAB version
You expect too much on an old MATLAB version that can run and is supported on the OS that was released 7 year later.

I have no idea how my current MALAB will work on Windows in year 2024.
Kai-Michael LÃŒdeke
2016-03-28 15:05:03 UTC
Post by Bruno Luong
Post by Kai-Michael LÃŒdeke
from Kai
who is very disappointed with MathWork's lacking support for older MATLAB version
You expect too much on an old MATLAB version that can run and is supported on the OS that was released 7 year later.
I have no idea how my current MALAB will work on Windows in year 2024.
Which OS do you mean ?
MATLAB 6.5 (Release13) dates back to 2002 and Windows XP.
It does not normally install under Windows 7 . The installation procedure insists on using the old discarded Microsoft Java. Windows 7 refuses to install the old MS Java.
This MATLAB version is ok for me. I have an "Individual Perpetual License".
Do you think its ok not to support a perpetual license ?

Regards Kai
Kai-Michael LÃŒdeke

Regards Kai
Bruno Luong
2016-03-28 15:41:03 UTC
Post by Kai-Michael LÃŒdeke
Hi Bruno
Which OS do you mean ?
Windows 7, released in 2009
Post by Kai-Michael LÃŒdeke
MATLAB 6.5 (Release13) dates back to 2002 and Windows XP.
It does not normally install under Windows 7 . The installation procedure insists on using the old discarded Microsoft Java. Windows 7 refuses to install the old MS Java.
This MATLAB version is ok for me. I have an "Individual Perpetual License".
Do you think its ok not to support a perpetual license ?
Of course. But it will not supported on any OS that is not designed for, including Windows 7.

If you want to run such old MATLAB, you should stay with old OS, meaning Windows XP.

If you want to go for Windows 7, then do at your own risk, and should not expect TMW to support you for that.
madhvi arya
thankyou soo much
Andy Mack
2016-07-02 16:32:03 UTC
Post by cofi_ac
Part 1 - Install the Microsoft Java VM
======================================
Java VM installed automatically for me in Windows 10 when I ran the setup.exe!
Post by cofi_ac
[...]
Worked like a charm to get Matlab 6.5 running on Windows 10! To create empty file, I went to DOS window and used the following command:
C:\MATLAB6p5\bin\win32> type NUL > wtsapi32.dll

Matlab fired right up!
Kai-Michael LÃŒdeke
Comments are welcome! :-)
Kai-Michael LÃŒdeke
2016-12-28 23:34:03 UTC
I have finally dared and managed to install the old MATLAB 6,5 (R13) on a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit PC which had Oracle's Java 7 installed. I had to apply cofi_ac's tricks as described in the latest version. After that, however, there was an additional complication: MATLAB came only up with a command window, not with its desktop. It showed a warning/error message that C:\Programme\Java\jre7\javai.dll could not be found and consequently no Java services were available. The result was that neither the desktop nor the editor nor the command history were accessible. Scripts (m-files) could be launched from the command tool.
It turned out that MATLAB had set the environment variable MATLAB_JAVA to the path of the installed Java 7 instead to the Java 2 (1.3.1) version included in its own installation. (The MS JVM is only used during installation). After changing MATLAB_JAVA to <Drive-Letter>:\MATLAB6p5\sys\java\jre\win32\jre MATLAB came up with its desktop and since then seems to work as expected, although there is no file ...jre\bin\javai.dll . In the installation of the predecessor MATLAB6p1(R12) on an old WINDOWS XP PC the equivalent path contained JAVA 1 with a javai.dll.
Regards Kai
PS: Please excuse me for the previous posted message. I was confused by the horrible non-intuitve message interface.
m***@gmail.com
Comments are welcome! :-)
b***@gmail.com
2018-01-29 21:16:24 UTC
I tried installing Matlab 6.5 (R13) on Windows Server 2012 R2.

I didn't have to do Part 1 as Matlab installed correctly without it.
However, I did need to do Part 2, though, and your solution worked great.

Thanks!