Problem getting all meta data from DICOM-file
Fredrik Öhberg
2010-09-23 10:32:08 UTC
I have some trouble using the image toolbox in MATLAB 7.10. I'm trying to parse a dicom file with some private tags. The dicom-file consists of an ultrasound movie sequence and is rather big (approx. 65MB).

All tags, except some tags that are present near the end of the file, are detected with the command dicominfo.

If I step into the file dicominfo I can see that the problem is that the function dicomparse is not returning the correct number of entries. This function should return all tags that are present in the file, even the tags that are private ones, according to your manual.

I’ll get the following structure back from dicominfo and as you can see I’ll get information about the private structure (6003_1010), but not from the structures with tags 7FE1,xxxx and 7FE0,xxxx.

I hope you can help me with this issue.
Best regards
Fredrik Öhberg

Filename: 'A6TAEO0E'
FileModDate: '23-sep-2010 10:36:29'
FileSize: 72438550
Format: 'DICOM'
FormatVersion: 3
Width: 636
Height: 434
BitDepth: 8
ColorType: 'truecolor'
FileMetaInformationGroupLength: 172
FileMetaInformationVersion: [2x1 uint8]
MediaStorageSOPClassUID: '1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.6.1'
MediaStorageSOPInstanceUID: '1.2.840.113619.2.98.5687.1277798533.0.32'
TransferSyntaxUID: '1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.50'
ImplementationClassUID: '1.2.840.113619.6.98'
SourceApplicationEntityTitle: 'M213290'
ImageType: [1x49 char]
SOPClassUID: '1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.6.1'
SOPInstanceUID: '1.2.840.113619.2.98.5687.1277798533.0.32'
StudyDate: '20100629'
SeriesDate: '20100629'
ContentDate: '20100629'
AcquisitionDateTime: '20100629102523.000'
StudyTime: '090213'
SeriesTime: '090213'
ContentTime: '102523'
AccessionNumber: ''
Modality: 'US'
Manufacturer: 'GE Vingmed Ultrasound'
InstitutionName: 'Klin Forskningscentrum'
ReferringPhysicianName: [1x1 struct]
StationName: 'M213290'
OperatorName: [1x1 struct]
ManufacturerModelName: 'Vivid7'
PatientName: [1x1 struct]
PatientID: '691030'
PatientBirthDate: ''
PatientBirthTime: '000000'
PatientSex: 'O'
SoftwareVersion: 'Vivid7:6.1.3'
SequenceOfUltrasoundRegions: [1x1 struct]
StudyInstanceUID: '1.2.840.113619.2.98.5687.1277798533.0.2'
SeriesInstanceUID: '1.2.840.113619.2.98.5687.1277798533.0.3'
StudyID: ''
SeriesNumber: 1
InstanceNumber: 8
PatientOrientation: ''
SamplesPerPixel: 3
PhotometricInterpretation: 'YBR_FULL_422'
PlanarConfiguration: 0
Rows: 434
Columns: 636
UltrasoundColorDataPresent: 0
BitsAllocated: 8
BitsStored: 8
HighBit: 7
PixelRepresentation: 0
LossyImageCompression: '01'
LossyImageCompressionRatio: 13.5000
Private_6003_10xx_Creator: 'GEMS_Ultrasound_ImageGroup_001'
Private_6003_1010: [1x1 struct]
Jeff Mather
2010-09-23 15:02:08 UTC
Post by Fredrik Öhberg
Hi,
I have some trouble using the image toolbox in MATLAB 7.10. I'm trying to parse a dicom file with some private tags. The dicom-file consists of an ultrasound movie sequence and is rather big (approx. 65MB).
All tags, except some tags that are present near the end of the file, are detected with the command dicominfo.
If I step into the file dicominfo I can see that the problem is that the function dicomparse is not returning the correct number of entries. This function should return all tags that are present in the file, even the tags that are private ones, according to your manual.
I’ll get the following structure back from dicominfo and as you can see I’ll get information about the private structure (6003_1010), but not from the structures with tags 7FE1,xxxx and 7FE0,xxxx.
Fredrik,

You are correct. DICOMINFO was not designed to read attributes including and beyond (7FE0,0010). That attribute is the pixel data of the imagery and isn't technically metadata. It was a wrong assumption that there would not be metadata beyond the pixel data. I'll create an enhancement request to bring in those other metadata values.

It's worth noting that the values in the group 7FE1 private metadata attributes actually contain the ultrasound movie in a non-DICOM image format. Creating the ultrasound movie will likely require a fair bit of extra work once you've gotten it into MATLAB.

Jeff Mather
Image Processing Group
MathWorks
Fredrik Öhberg
2010-09-27 03:23:04 UTC
Hi Jeff,

Thank you for a quick respons. Hopefully we are getting an enhancement soon. For the time beeing we are writing a small dicom-parser ourselves.

Best regards,
Fredrik
Post by Jeff Mather
Hi,
MathWorks
Vijay Vedula
2013-07-02 14:12:10 UTC
Hi Jeff,

I am currently using Matlab R2012b (8.0.0.783) and still facing the same issue with tags 7FE0, 7FE1 and so on. Has the enhancement been created yet?

@Fredrik: Would it be possible for you to share your dicom-parser through file exchange. That would be very helpful to us and we sincerely appreciate it.

Thanks,
Vijay
Post by Fredrik Öhberg
Hi Jeff,
Thank you for a quick respons. Hopefully we are getting an enhancement soon. For the time beeing we are writing a small dicom-parser ourselves.
Best regards,
Fredrik
Post by Jeff Mather
Hi,